Wednesday 30 October 2013

Lee’s Story – Part 5/7: Acceptance



I then took a holiday break so wasn't able to see Lee again for a couple of weeks, by which time things had taken a dramatic turn for the worse and he was now back in the Hospice.

Lee was on maximum pain relief and barely conscious by this time, and though he was unable to acknowledge those present around him, I know he would have recognised and taken comfort from the distinctive smell of the oil I used to massage his hands and feet, and he would have been familiar with the warmth and touch of my hands.

At this time, I could feel no pulses whatsoever, so I thought needling to be futile at this stage. His hands and feet were very swollen and bruised due to circulation failure and administration of warfarin to disperse a clot in an artery. It was clear to me that he was very close to the end of his life, and so I felt it enough to reassure those around him and to show them certain stress-relieving acupressure points that they could do for Lee.


I was very saddened to hear that Lee lost his fight for life in the early hours of the next morning. I did learn however, that his mother had indeed made the trip from the US, and they had spent some quality time together and hopefully were able to resolve the issue relating to Lee’s childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment