Tuesday 24 September 2013

The Big C: Introducing Lee


This Friday sees the launch of Macmillan's World's Biggest Coffee Morning and I for one will be supporting this very worthy cause!

Whilst Acupuncture and conventional medicine sit side by side beautifully in most instances, Cancer is the one medical condition where Western Medicine actively embraces this ancient Chinese therapy, particularly in the latter stages of the illness. 

At this time, the emphasis is more towards emotional healing and support, both for the sufferer and for their loved ones, to help them face the next stage with courage and dignity.

Over the next few blogs I will be recounting my experience earlier this year in treating a patient with terminal cancer. It was a very emotional journey for all concerned - for the patient himself, for his loved ones and for myself, as I'm sure you can imagine. But it was also a real honour and a privilege to be involved in the latter stages of this man's life, and it is with his Partner's very kind permission that I am able to share this experience with others. Cancer is a disease that will touch a good many people's lives, be it sufferers, survivors or carers - and I for one will be forever humbled by my experience. We can all certainly learn from the tales of others.

Above all, by re-telling his story, my patient's legacy will  live on - and his life will not have been in vain, even though sadly it was all too short.

No comments:

Post a Comment